Saturday, May 8, 2010

Singing the Blues About Singing the Blues

 Obsessive?  Moi?

I have many blessings in my life, but my singing voice is not one of them.  I've worked on it, a lot, over the years, but I am far from a great (or even good) singer.  Yet, I feel the need, the compulsion, to sing my songs.  When I sing, you hear more of me than I can ever let out in any other way.  You often hear the expression "singing his heart out", and that is what you get with me.

I just spent some time reworking the vocals on "Hard Rockin'", the song I posted as a demo, last week.  I kept trying to make it sound "good", and I hated every take.  Finally, I sat back and thought about what I was doing.

The song is, obviously, autobiographical.  It's all about the pain of my marriage finally coming to an end after Val and I had been together for 15 years (married for 13), and about how I finally decided to get beyond it.  It's also an angry song.  Even though I am, for the most part, past the hurt, I'm angry that my life didn't turn out the way I thought it would. 

So, I did one more take, singing like I felt and not really worrying about making it sound "good".

I think I like it.

I don't know if anyone else will.

But, it gets across what I'm trying to convey, and that's what matters to me.  Once Mark gets a decent drum part down, to replace my crude attempts, I will consider this one done and start to work on the next song.

Stay tuned.

x

1 comment:

Oldfool said...

Obsessive? Probably but just think it could be worse. It could be golf, or football, or Q tips or salt and pepper shakers from everywhere. Some obsessions are good says a man that may be obsessive.