Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Blues Are Calling

  Luckily, it's not blocked for the blues, however...

I bought this phone at the thrift store, a couple of days ago, for the $6.99 marked price.  Why, you might ask, would I want an old rotary phone?  Well, I really didn't.

But, I did want the handset.  The speaker in the earpiece of the phone produces sound by converting electrical impulses into vibration, which produces the sound you hear on the phone.  It will also work in the opposite manner:  It will convert vibration into electrical impulses.

Wired to a 1/4" jack, then glued to the inside of the top of my cigar box guitar, it will pick up the vibrations of the top and transmit them, through a cord, to an amplifier.  (I didn't like the tone in the original position, which you can see at the bottom of the picture, so I moved it to the upper half of the face.)


The output jack, located on the lower left corner of the body, is relatively subtle.  I don't think it detracts from the looks of the guitar, too much.

And, it sounds pretty good through the Pignose amp, in my opinion.

x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI I look this thing what you make with the telefon speaker. I working ina new efekt for my guitars, and im on the same way like this. We try realize an efect what colud make wood sound for the electric pickups.
You juse glue for fix the telefon speaker, or some thing? the membran is fixed for the wood or just you juse like a michrophone?

wE TRI TO AKE SOMETHING LIKE THIS ONE SPEAKER WHAT MAKE THE WIBRACION FOR A WOOD,AND INTHE OTHER SIDE AMIKROFON WHAT COLLETED THE WIBRATIONS. i THINK IF THE MEMBRAND FIXED TO THE WOOD, IT COLUD MAKE MORE WIBRATION FOR THE WOOD, AND IN THAT WAY THE MIKRFONS MEMBRAN COULD COLLECT MORE WIBRATIONS.
So what do you think about it?

mate485(@)hot mail. com